Western Junction Aerodrome Timeline
Proposal & Funding by State Govt Grant of £25,000 to survey air route Vic to Tas and selection of aerodrome site. Visit made by 2 RAAF Fairey 3D Float Planes to conduct the survey.
(Became the Tasmanian Aero Club in 1935).
Federal Government requested Aero Club to find site for Aerodrome near Launceston. Site selected was part of the Hogarth’s farm at Western Junction. Government (Department of Defence purchased the land).
The aerodrome is ready for use. Aero Club Hangar built by the Federal Government.
After assembling the Gipsy Moth, Captain Joseph Francis pilots VH-ULM off Western Junction aerodrome for the first time
Club house built by members and is ready for use
Aero Club runs first Tasmanian Air Pageant to open Western Junction aerodrome, 15,000 attend.
Holyman’s donate the flagpole to Aero Club. It was the mast of the Holyman ship “Toroa” wrecked in on Rabbit Island in the Furneaux Group in April 1916. (It is now the only structure still on the Aerodrome from opening day).
Kingsford Smith Avro X, “Southern Sun” leaves Western Junction on the first Australia to UK air mail service.
L. M. Johnson purchases the Desoutter monoplane “Miss Flinders” and starts regular services between Western Junction and Flinders Island on 19 March.
Holyman Brothers Purchase De Havilland DH-83 “Fox Moth”, “Miss Currie" and begins passenger flights from Western Junction.
Holyman brothers and L. M. Johnson amalgamate and form Tasmanian Aerial Services.
Holyman Brothers Hangar opened for Tasmanian Aerial Services, now Hangar 17.
R.A.A.F. Pilot and Navigation training school trained 1800 pilots
Runway upgrades for regular DC4 aircraft operations
Runway is extended, parallel Taxiway is added, new terminal is under construction.
Terminal is opened on 29 Oct 1967.
The Airport is privatised on 09 May 1998, Launceston Airport is owned by Australian Pacific Airlines Corporation