Some of the significant events in Tasmanian (and Australian) Aviation

YearEvent
1903, Dec 17First powered heavier than air flight by the Wright Brothers (US)
1910, Mar 10First flight in Australia by Harry Houdini at Digger’s Rest, Vic
1914, Sep 12First flight in Tasmania, Delfosse Badgery, Elwick Showgrounds, Hobart
1919, Nov 12 - Dec 10First England to Australia Flight, Ross & Keith Smith, in a Vickers Vimy bomber
1920, Nov 16QANTAS founded. Tasmanian Hudson Fysh was cofounder
1921, Mar 21Formation of RAAF
1921First flight Sydney to Launceston in Curtis “Seagull” Seaplane
1922Visit to Launceston by Capt. Fred Huxley with 2 A/C FE 2B – Sopwith Pup
1922First Aerial photograph of Launceston by H S King
1926Proposal & Funding to survey air route Vic to Tas. Visit made by 2 RAAF Fairey 3D Float Planes to conduct the survey
1927, OctFormation of the Australian Aero Club, Tasmanian Section. (Became Tasmanian Aero Club in 1936)
1928, Feb 7 - 22First solo flight England to Australia by Bert Hinkler. Hinkler visits Tasmania in May 1928
1928, May 31 - Jun 9Trans pacific flight, USA to Australia by Charles Kingsford Smith in the "Southern Cross"
1928Aero Club requested to find site for Aerodrome near Launceston. Site selected was Hogarth's farm at Western Junction
1928,May 17First Flight by John Flynn's Australian Aero Medical Service (1934 change to Royal Flying Doctor Service), Concurry, QLD
1929-30Western Junction Aerodrome constructed
1930, OctWestern Junction Aerodrome ready for use
1930, Nov 23First flight off Western Junction by Aero Club Gipsy Moth VH-ULM. First two buildings on Aerodrome: Aero Club Hangar and Club House
1931, JanFirst commercial flight Melbourne to laucneston by Kingsford Smiths Avro 10 VH-UMF "Southern Cloud"
1931, Feb 28Official opening of Western Junction aerodrome and the first air pageant held, 15,000 attend
1931, AprilFlying training in south at Brighton Racecourse
1931, Jun 23- 1 JulFirst round the world flight completed by Wiley Post and Tasmanian Harold Gatty
1931, DecLatrobe aerodrome opened
1932, Mar 11Laurie Johnson registers Desoutter VH-UEE, "Miss Flinders"
1932, MarFirst regular passenger service to Flinders Island by VH-UEE
1932, SeptHolyman Brothers purchase DH-50 "Fox Moth" "Miss Currie" able to carry 3-4 passengers and pilot to establish passenger services
1932, OctHolyman Brothers amalgamate with Laurie Johnson and Desoutter to form Tasmanian Aerial Services
1933, FebHolyman Hangar built at Western Junction, (now "Hangar 17")
1933, AugFirst twin engine DH-84 "Dragon" arrives for Tasmanian Aerial Services "Miss Launceston"
1933, DecDesoutter "Miss Flinders" and Laurie Johnson conduct probably the first aero medical evacuation from King Island to Western Junction
1934, JulTasmanian Aerial Services name changed to Holyman's Airways
1934, Feb"Miss Launceston" first Australian airline aircraft to be fitted with radio
1934, MarHolymans order two DH-86 four engined to meet Government requirements for mail contract
1934, SepFirst DH-86, "Miss Hobart" arrived, set new record Melbourne to Launceston flight time of 1 hr 50 min
1934, Oct 19"Miss Hobart" lost with two crew and 10 passengers off Wilsons Promontory. Victor Holyman killed. Ivan Holyman now manages Holyman's Airways.
1935Government lifts embargo on American aircraft
1935Cambridge aerodrome opened
1936, FebFirst DC2 "Bungana' arrives in Australia for Holyman's Airways. First flight in March. First use of Stewardesses on Australian airline.
1936, May 13Holyman's Airways and Adelaide Airways merge to become Australian National Airways (ANA)
1936Australian Aero Club (Tasmanian Section) name changed to Tasmanian Aero Club
1937Holyman's original Fox Moth "Miss Currie" VH-UQM was transferred to Adelaide with Tasmanian Captain Ern Annear as pilot. Leased by NSW Section of RFDS and became first aircraft to fly for NSW section. Destroyed in Hangar fire 1940.
1939-1940Outbreak of WWII. Western Junction taken over by RAAF to become No 7 Elementary Flying School. Tasmanian Aero Club, after completing 10,000 hour of training using 6 Gypsy Moths, closes flying operations and aircraft went into storage at Cambridge.
1940-1945WWII. At Western Junction, No 7 EFTS trained 1,800 pilots, 8 Fatalities, using DH-82 "Tiger Moths". Used Low Head as satellite airfield
1944Remaining Tasmanian Aero Club aircraft sold to Royal Victorian Aero Club.
1945, DecTasmanian Aero Club reactivated. Purchased seven EFTS Tiger Moths
1945 - 1946Western Junction under control of RAAF. Former buildings reallocated or sold. Aerodrome returned to Civil control.
1947Aero Club of Southern Tasmania formed, breakaway from Tasmanian Aero Club and begin operating at Cambridge.
1950, Nov 04Devonport aerodrome at Pardoe officially opened
1956, Jun 23New Hobart Airport at Llanherne
1950-1960Western Junction - Runway extension, new control tower,& Fire Station. Tas Aero Club hangar moved. Planning for new terminal, runway and takeaways
1960, NovTasmanian Section Royal Flying Doctor Service Section established
1964New terminal at Western Junction, renamed Launceston Airport
1973New Georgetown aerodrome opened
1989Airports privatised. Western Junction owned by Australian Pacific Airlines Corporation