Establishing an Aerodrome on Flinders Island
With the opening of the Western Junction aerodrome in 1930 and commercial flights to Essendon commencing the following year, the Flinders island Municipal Council were active in establishing a landing strip for commercial planes and air mail services to use.
The First landing Strip
The Council initially used the property of Mr A. G. Woodside, about 5 km south east of Whitemark as a landing strip, which was ready for use in March 1932.
Lawrence Johnson initiated his Western Junction to Flinders Island service with “Miss Flinders” on 19 March 1932.
Tasmanian Aerial Services and then Holyman’s Airways then undertook regular services between Western Junction, Flinders island and Essendon.
The St Pats River Aerodrome
The Council then built a permanent aerodrome on the St Pats River, After purchasing the ground from Sports Club, it undertook significant clearing and sowing new grass throughout 1934.
On 18 December 1934, the Holyman’s Airways “Miss Launceston” was the first plane to land on the new aerodrome. (This was the regular bi-weekly service between Western Junction and Flinders Island). The aerodrome was officially opened on 16 February 1935.
The aerodrome was further extended in 1939.